The Real Statistics Examples Workbooks contains all the examples used in this website and so it will be very valuable in understanding the concepts described in the rest of this website. But before you use any one of the examples workbooks for the first time, you need to make sure that it is synchronized with the Real Statistics Resource Pack, the Excel add-in, as described next.
After you download any one of the Real Statistics examples workbooks and before you open the workbook for the first time, you should make sure that the Real Statistics Resource Pack has been installed (see Real Statistics Resource Pack Installation). You should close any Excel workbooks that are open and then open the Real Statistics examples workbook.
When you open one of the Real Statistics examples workbooks for the first time you will likely receive the following messages:
“This workbook contains links to other data sources”
You should now follow the following steps before trying to use the workbook:
1. Click on Update
You will now receive a message that says
“This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated”
2. Click on Edit Links…
For the source that is highlighted
3. Click Change Source…
4. Next enter the location of the Real Statistics Resource Pack. As described in Real Statistics Resource Pack, it is recommended that you place the resource pack in the following location for Excel 2007/2010/2013/2016:
where user-name is your user name in Microsoft Windows.
5. Now select RealStats.xlam and click OK
6. Click Close the Edit Links… dialog box
7. Save the workbook (e.g. via Ctrl-S)
You are now ready to use the Real Statistics examples workbook. The next time you open the workbook you should not have to repeat the above procedure.
If for some reason the above approach doesn’t work, and in particular, you still get the same error message the next time you try to open one of the Real Statistics examples workbooks you can repeat the above approach or alternatively you can carry out the following steps:
1. Click on Continue (instead of Update as described above)
2. Select Home > Editing|Find & Select
3. Choose Replace… from the menu that pops up
4. Enter C:\Users\C\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\AddIns (or whatever text appears before the Real Statistics function names) into the Find what field and leave the Replace with field blank. Now click Options>>
5. Select Workbook (instead of Sheet) in the Within field and click Replace All.
6. Save the workbook (e.g. via Ctrl-S)
You are now ready to use the Real Statistics examples workbook.