The Real Statistics Resource Pack contains a variety of supplemental functions and data analysis tools not provided by Excel. These complement the standard Excel capabilities and make it easier for you to perform the statistical analyses described in the rest of this website.
We now explain how to download and install the Real Statistics Resource Pack for use with Excel 2007.
If you accept the License Agreement, click here on Real Statistics Resource Pack to download the latest version of the resource pack that accompanies this website (Release 5.2). This software is compatible with Excel 2007. After downloading the software make sure that you install the software as described below.
Downloading this resource pack means that you accept the License Agreement.
If you are using Excel 2010, Excel 2013 or Excel 2016, click here for instructions on how to download and install a compatible version of the Real Statistics Resource Pack.
If you are using Excel 2003 or a prior version of Excel, click here for instructions on how to download and install an .xla file containing the Real Statistics Resource Pack.
If you are using a Macintosh version of Excel, click here for instructions on how to download and install a beta version of the Real Statistics Resource Pack.
Before trying to install the Real Statistics Resource Pack make sure that Excel’s Solver capability is installed on your computer. Check this as follows:
- Open up a blank Excel spreadsheet
- Press Alt-TI (i.e. hold down the Alt key and press the T and I keys).
- On the dialog box that appears make sure that the Solver addin is checked. If not, check it and click on the OK button.
- If the Solver addin was not checked you need to close the Excel file before proceeding to the next step.
Once you have downloaded the Resource Pack and made sure that Solver is installed, you need to install the Real Statistics Real Pack using the following steps:
- Move the Resource Pack to where you want it located on your computer (see our recommendation below). Caution: once you install the resource pack at a particular location it will be more difficult to move it later.
- Open Excel, but don’t try to open the realstats-2011.xlam file that you downloaded earlier.
- Select Office Button > Excel Options > Add-Ins and click on the Go button at the bottom of the window (see Figure 1). Alternatively you can simple press Alt-TI (i.e. hold the Alt key down and simultaneously press T followed by I) and the dialog box shown in Figure 2 will appear.
- Check the Realstats option on the dialog box that appears (see Figure 2) and click the OK button.
- If this option doesn’t appear, click on Browse to find and choose the realstats 2007.xlam file. Then complete step 4 as described above.
While you can place the Real Statistics Resource Pack anywhere on your computer, we recommend that you put the file in the following folder:
and then restart Excel and install the Real Statistics Resource Pack as described previously. An alternative, which may work better on some people’s computer, is to place the Real Statistics Resource Pack in the following folder:
where user-name is your user name in Microsoft Windows. Since some of these folders are hidden, you may find it convenient to enable showing hidden folders. E.g., in Window 7 you can do this by opening the Control Panel, clicking Appearance and Personalization, and then clicking Folder Options and then clicking the View tab. Now in the Advanced settings, click Show hidden files, folders, and drives, and then click OK.
Installation of Upgrades
Once you have installed the Real Statistics Resource Pack as described above, to install a new version of the software you don’t need to repeat these steps. You only need to delete the previous version of the resource pack and put the new version of the software in the same location as the previous version.
Real Statistics Functions
Once you have installed the Real Statistics Resource Pack you can use the supplemental functions in the same way as you use the built-in worksheet functions supplied with Excel. These functions are described throughout the rest of this website. A complete list of these functions can be found in Real Statistics Supplemental Functions and Real Statistics Multivariate Functions.
Real Statistics Data Analysis Tools
You can access the Real Statistics data analysis tools in one of the following ways, as described in Accessing Real Statistics Supplemental Tools:
- By pressing Ctrl-m or
- By clicking on an icon on the Add-Ins ribbon or
- By clicking on an icon on the Quick Access Toolbar or
- Via the Macro dialog box
A dialog box will now appear which lists all the available Real Statistics data analysis tools. You need to choose one of the data analysis tools from this list.
A dialog box will then appear as described in Real Statistics Supplemental Data Analysis Tools which enables you to specify your input data and choose from available options. You can also access Help to get more information about the selected data analysis tool.
A complete list of supplemental data analysis tools can be found in Real Statistics Supplemental Data Analysis Tools.
Uninstalling the Real Statistics Resource Pack
- Open Excel
- Press Alt-TI
- Uncheck the Realstats option on the dialog box that appears and click the OK button.